Tuesday 2 April 2013

Strong Stomach Required

So today I am doubting my fitness to be a kindergarten teacher. While it turns out to be lots of fun it does require a strong stomach. I don't have one of them.

I'm teaching some little girls, the youngest would be four. Today during one activity she did a great big sneeze and lots of snot exploded from her nose and all over her face. That was bad enough, but then, before I could get her a tissue, she licked it up with obvious relish. I nearly threw up in the middle of the classroom - about four times. At that point I managed to choke out an instruction telling the class to go and play. Took me a good five minutes to get the stomach under control ... and I'm actually struggling to type this ... darn gag reflex.

How do you mothers do it?? 

I can handle blood no problem; wee, don't like it but I won't die, ditto poop. However bodily fluids from the nose and mouth ...

1 comment:

  1. Same thing happened to me the first time one of my little ones threw up. My first instinct was to throw up myself. God put you in that position and he will give you the strength to endure, believe me.
    Might I suggest keeping a box of kleenex in the classroom and instructing them how and when to use it. I have found that proper hygiene habits are not enforced, so it will take some diligence on your part.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete