Sunday 12 September 2010

Clothes and Other Girly Stuff

Note: This post has been a couple of days in the growing, please put any inconsistencies down to that.

I've been meaning to put these up for a while - pictures of the skirts I made to come to AFCOE and of the tops I bought. So today instead of reading and summarising a chapter from the book Evangelism, I took pics of the aforementioned clothes - which side tracked me into trying on everything in my wardrobe .... So after that venture which was rather fun and enlightening (I really should get rid of a few things but I'm enjoying the bagginess...) I finally got back to finish this blog entry!

Some of you may remember my anguished cries of "but, I haven't worn a skirt in ten years!" when I was accepted to AFCOE and realised it would mean some major wardrobe changes. This necessitated a couple of shopping trips with Heather, (thanks :-D) and after trying on about a million skirts I came to the conclusion that I must be differently shaped than most american women - more bum, less waist! The only things that came close to fitting looked decidedly matronly. So it was decided (by me) that I was going to make some skirts. Now I must say that I did honestly consider colours - truly! Only I pragmatically determined that black goes with all the tops I have (since all my pants are black too) and so I would make three black skirts.

Here they are:

1. This little number is very plain; long, black, kind of boring but very comfortable. Has the redeeming feature of a kick-pleat at the back.





The kick-pleat.











2. This skirt is not at all boring. Technically I think the material was supposed to be used for cushion covers. A light taffata type fabric that has lots of little beads sewn in a geometric arrangement giving it the puckered look. Very uncomfortable if sitting on a hard surface, so I try to know what I will be doing for the day before I wear it. So far it has been reserved for Sabbath - the pews at church have cushions.

Has been sewn to be reversible and I left the edges of the seam bare so that they will fray (I did stay stitch about a cm in from the edge so the seam is not in danger.) Also left the hem as the salvage because I like the look it gives.


One side of the fabric - notice all the little balls? Those are the beads that have been wrapped in the fabric and then sewn around to make the puckered effect. (Not by me.) They are quite hard.








The other side of the fabric has a nice soft puckered effect.










3. This skirt has not been worn much yet - it is rather warm to wear. Probably because it is technically from the drapery section of the fabric shop - but I loved the pattern woven into it. I made this one also as a simple straight skirt, instead of hemming it (too bulky to fold) I sewed a ribbon around the raw edge at the bottom which gives a lovely effect. and also put a small split on the right hand side. Just so it was a bit different in style from the other two.











The pattern ...










 with a side split and a ribbon for a hem ...
















This is the first top I bought ... I like Blue!

















The second top, it has a curious pleated texture which falls very nicely when it is worn - doesn't look so good on the hanger.


























This top they gave us when we arrived at AFCOE - it is a lovely royal blue colour which doesn't show well in the picture, and that is its only redeeming feature. I've worn it twice and have decided that the only way it will be worn again is if I have nothing else left clean in my wardrobe!!













Other girly stuff ....
I brought some more hair dye yesterday to cover the large amount of whites that are beginning to appear.... Here is the box - so Mum can see the pic and be assured I'm not going too dark - yes I know you like me blonde ... but I like me brunette! Plus I HATE re-growth and this is close enough to my real colour that I don't get a line as it grows out - well except for the whites ...










What else ... Shoes...

I faced up to one of my fears and went shoe shopping. Brought two pairs after visiting about 10 shoe shops (Did I mention I HATE shoe shopping?) One in a nice pair of court style shoes with a heel - Yes I said heel, about an inch high - don't all die of shock ... lol. And then it suddenly struck me that since I'm not teaching chemistry any more and there is no risk of spilling corrosives on my feet, I can get shoes that don't reach to the ankles, so I got a cute pair of Mary-Janes. Only problem with that is now I have tan lines on my feet ... no I will NOT post pics!

Shopping in California ...

Got to a shopping mall last week - wandered around and didn't buy anything except lunch - Thai, the noodles were sweet! Disgusting!!! Who makes Thai with sweet noodles?? Americans apparently...

Anyway I did get trapped by one of those secret mineral cleanser people - I thought I had successfully avoided making eye contact as I hurried past only to discover that they are now working in teams, one distracts you into not looking in their direction while another one plants their-self directly in front of you, then you have to either walk over the top of them or stop, or if you have the dexterity of a ballerina you might still manage to get away - I don't. Before I could stutter "I'm not interested" in a commanding/surprised tone she had wiped out a pot of something and was rubbing it into my arm, telling me that the crud appearing was my dead skin cells, trying the scare tactics. I waited till she had finished cleaning my arm then announced in my best teacher voice that "I won't be buying anything, thank you" and made my escape with one arm now crud free and the other still cruddy, bearing testimony to the products effectiveness. I would just like to say that it is a big con because within about an hour both arms looked and felt exactly the same again!

This shopping mall was almost completely inhabited by clothes shops, shoe shops, and random junk gift shops. There was one chocolate shop which I virtuously avoided! Not a single actually interesting shop - no bookshops, craft shops or science toy shops, couldn't find anywhere to get a manicure either - not that I was planning to, just was surprised that there were none. Even hair dressers were in short supply. I did however find a Pumpkin Patch! (For my American friends - if your still friends after my prior noodle comment... Pumpkin Patch is a children's clothes brand from NZ, which I spent a lot of money in a few years ago when my lovely niece and nephew were a little younger.)

I think that is all the girly stuff I have to tell ... except, I did discover cherry flavoured prunes, I don't like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment