Sunday 17 October 2010

Sloppy Joes

Today we had Sloppy Joes for potluck at church. Turns out that Sloppy Joes are another one of those American things that leave me bewildered...




Let me explain;
First, a Sloppy Joes is a sweet tomato sauce (that actually bears little resemblance to a tomato in flavour - kind of chutney flavoured I thought) that has mince, or a fake mince equivalent, mixed into it in a ratio that distinctly favours the sauce - hence the description of sloppy. (I have no idea where Joe comes from!)

Second, they then slop a big spoonful of this mixture onto the bottom half of a burger bun, place the rest of the bun on top and you are then expected to eat the messy thing with all the innards falling sloppily onto your plate, chin, shirt, the floor, etc ...

... but, I didn't eat it in the proscribed way, I openned the bun back up, scrapped half the mixture onto the top of the bun and then ate in the manner of a tidy open sandwich.

To be honest if there had been any other option I would have eaten that instead, well maybe not oatmeal, but anything else except oatmeal would have been a pleasant alternative!

No comments:

Post a Comment