Wednesday 22 June 2011

The Nature of Time and Prayer.

So I was thinking about the nature of time. 


We experience time in two dimensions, it is linear, travelling from the past to the future. But God is outside of our time/space continuum. He sees the entirety of our history from start to finish in one glance. He knows all our choices, he knows when to send those little 'nudges' to help us choose to move onto a more upward path. We (or at least I) don't always choose well but at least when we look back we can't say that "God didn't try."


So then I was thinking about prayer. We ask God to bless us, to help us to guide us, protect us and to do all manner of things for us. And, we know that whenever we pray according to those things He has promised we can be assured that whatever we have prayed for will be granted.


Then I started wondering if we can pray retrospectively ... "God I made a bad choice there, can you change my past?" Ok, I know that the past is set, what has happened has happened and there is no going back, but maybe our current prayers can influence the size of the nudges God sent in the past to help us with our choices? 


Given that God can see all of time, maybe God can say something like, "I have permission to work more strongly in Cat's life now (when she is not walking with me) because I know in her future she will ask me to keep my hand over the earlier events of her life. I will work now on the knowledge that she will make this request. 


Scripture tells us;
And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.Isaiah 65:24
I'm not trying to build a theology here just recording some of my random musings. Would be interested to hear your musings on my musings ;-)





No comments:

Post a Comment