Monday 26 December 2011

Bargaining

Did my first bit of bargaining today - accidentally, as is the way that many of my adventures occur ...

Currently I am always on the look out for things to wear to increase the layers of warmth, tending to wear 5 or 6 layers at a time these days. (All that fat I've, lost - everyday I carefully build myself back to that size with multiple layers of clothes!) And, people keep telling me that the cold is going to get worse - I try not to listen, but you can only put your hands over your ears and shout "LALALALALALA" if you know what their going to say ...

Anyway, today I saw a street stall selling some interesting looking ponchos, so I stopped to take a closer look. The lady minding the stall imediately sprung into action, "hand crocheted, special wool, etc, etc, etc!" I tried on a green one and she tried to get me to buy it for 55,000won (around $55 - give or take the exchange rate.) I said "no, I don't like it that much", and was about to walk away - actually I wasn't sure I liked it enough to buy it full stop. Anyway, as I'm saying "I'll think about it," she starts saying "What is a good price?" over and over again. So I decided to be ridiculous just to escape, and said 10,000won. She looked at me as if I was mad and eventually she sold it to me for 25,000won.

I'm such a soft touch - she looked like she was about to cry. So now I have warm shoulders, this is a very short poncho - only covers from the shoulders to half way to my waist ... but its also green, matches my eyes ...
I think I'm glad I bought it ...

1 comment: