Saturday 31 December 2011

Random Meetings

So I jumped on the subway this evening to head home after my Bible Study and there was a scruffy looking foreigner surrounded by luggage, obviously newly arrived in Korea. I was feeling anti-social so studiously avoided making eye contact, but peeking at his luggage I suddenly noticed the tag AKL. So of course I had to talk to him :-)

Turns out his name is Anton and he's from Christchurch - but has been living in Queensland for the last 6 years so has missed all the earthquakes. Is in Korea for a Holiday, (with a huge amount of luggage for just a holiday, more than I bought for an entire year ... but I was good and didn't mention that!) He's looked after poultry for 17 years and decided it was time for a change. Chose Korea because he has friends here. Amazing how much you can find out about a person in just 2 stops.

People really are interesting and I am resolving to talk to one random foreigner per week this year - I'm never going to see them again so it really doesn't matter what happens and I'll hopefully have some interesting encounters ...

Happy New Year Lovely People!!


1 comment:

  1. lol - small world. I bumped into foreigners while living in deepest darkest Japan - after months not seeing any I rushed up to them, thinking they're from the States, only to be greeted with "G'Day, we're from Blenheim" Gotta love travelling

    ReplyDelete