Monday 16 April 2012

I Feel Like Posting ^^

Hi Hi, lovely People ^^  <---- that symbol is Korean for smiling eyes.

So this month, first my asthma is improving and I'm very happy about that!! Haven't had to use my inhalers for a week so no more shaking!!!

Second, Korea is going through major changes this month. It is spring and suddenly most of the population has spilled out of buildings and onto the side-walks to enjoy the warm and balmy sun!! Me too! Today I went exploring some new streets. I found ...

1. A man cutting up huge chunks of ice on the back of a truck with a chainsaw ... I am guessing that it is for the fish stalls in the market ... I think it is a fair guess because the truck was parked just outside the market...

2. A lovely patch of violets poking out through a grating ^^

3. A restaurant with leaks on the sign - based on my theory that a restaurant serves mainly what is on it's sign I took the time to translate the sign and it turns out I was correct, it is a leak noodle restaurant. So then I took a picture of the menu and asked a friend to translate it. All the items on the menu, except one, are vegetarian. ^^

4. I found this restaurant ... I'm guessing that this is one of the few places where my sign/picture theory doesn't work - fairly certain they won't be serving men in that restaurant. (Literal translation of the sign is 'Chef Foreign Susan,' Really not sure what to make of that ... especially considering the picture of the man on the sign ...)

5. Politics - last week was election week for Korea. I was entertained by all the teams of people standing tidily in the streets bowing at all the passerby's and handing out leaflets. Each team was made up of three people dressed identically in colour coded clothes. I saw a red team, a yellow team, a blue team, a white team, and a purple team. Each colour represents a particular party. In my area - and in fact most of Seoul - most people voted for the yellow team. The day after the election most everybody I met was sad because while the yellow team mainly won in Seoul it lost in the rest of the country and the red team won the overall election. Today I found a big banner from the winner of my area (yellow team) She was thanking the people for electing her - I could figure that out without having to translate, just from the picture.

6. Finally on the streets all the cherry trees are blossoming ^^ I'm going to the cherry blossom festival on Wednesday afternoon with some of my students. Very much looking forward to that!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment