Wednesday 22 May 2013

Esther

Like I said a couple of blog posts back, I've been rereading Esther - Not very quickly because I keep getting sidetracked by thinking. Which is really not sidetracking because the whole point of reading the Bible is to stop and think.

This morning I was reading in Esther chapter 2. There are two points that I found interesting.

1. She gets 'taken' to the palace, which suggests it wasn't voluntary. But instead of fighting against what has happened to her she accepts her new situation, she stays kind and does her best in these new circumstances and as a result she wins the favour of the eunuchs who were in charge of looking after her and preparing her for her encounter with the king. So this suggested to me,  that we (I) also need to accept whatever situation we (I) find ourselves (myself) in and ask God to protect and lead and then continue to be kind and loving to the people around us (me).

2. The servants of the King provided all the cosmetics, the clothing, the jewellery, the beauty treatments, and whatever else was necessary for the women to be made as attractive as possible. Esther trusted the servants of the King and allowed them to choose for her. Which is sensible, seeing as they actually knew the King and she didn't. As a result Esther won the ultimate 'Bachelorette' competition and was made Queen. By Analogy, we (I) need to trust the leading of the Holy Spirit and do what He directs us (me) to do through the Bible. So that we (I) can win favour with God and win our (my) place in Heaven.

I am thinking that if we follow these two principles that we will not only please God and win Heaven, we will also have happier lives here on earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment