Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Topic Of Marriage Again - AKA Finding A Marriage Partner

Here in South Korea I have a lovely bunch of friends, we meet every Sabbath for church and spend the day together. They are all very opinionated and we discuss anything and everything. At length, often loudly. Sometimes it becomes difficult to finish a sentence. However terrible that sounds it actually isn't. I consider these wonderful people to be my family in Korea. 

One of the things we often discus is marriage, particularly the finding of suitable  partners for marriage, since we are all (with the exception of one couple) single and once people hit their mid twenties that is an interesting subject. Actually it is interesting before then, but once you hit your mid twenties you're old enough to consider doing something about it.

I have some definite ideas about the finding of said partner, but my friends here in Korea all tell me I'm wrong. I thought I would list them here so that the rest of the world - or at least my four faithful readers can have the chance to tell me I'm wrong too.

It is my thought that I worship a God who knows everything, He knows the future, He knows the past, He knows the number of hairs on my head, and he knows me, inside and out. He understands why I do the dumb things I do, and amazingly with all of that He still loves me and wants the best for me.

Now God also set up marriage to be a blessing for men and women and He gave us guidelines for choosing suitable partners, if we follow those guidelines closely then we will be safe in our choice of marriage partners.

So as I see it for a Christian there are two options for choosing a marriage partner:

1. Follow the guidelines God has given, find somebody you consider to be suitable, who you love, and if they feel the same about you, then get married. 

2. Skip all the above and just ask God to bring your partner to you when He/God is ready. Making it very clear that this is the person you are to marry. 

(3. And obviously for non-christians there is a whole host of other options open to them.)

All my friends are going with Option 1. However it seems to me that option 2. is more trustworthy. 

Option 2 is also rather pragmatic, I mean why spend my every waking moment trying to determine if so and so or such and such 'likes' me? and if they do, are they 'the one'? When I have a God who knows all about me, and all about every potential partner for me on the planet. Why not save myself all the angst and let Him choose the guy, and bring him to me, or me to him, when the time is right? I trust God more than I trust my own judgement, and I know He wants the best for me AND for the guy He chooses. Plus, (pragmatic again,) I have better things to be doing with my time and my brain. (I do confess to slipping into that thinking pattern sometimes, drives me nuts, so NOT peaceful. I don't like it.) 

Now I don't think there is anything wrong with Option 1. God gave us these guidelines exactly to allow us to choose for ourselves if we want to and to keep us safe. I also know that I am rather easily pleased and tend to be content in most situations, so I could go with Option 1 and I would probably be happy - as long as the guy I ended up with didn't beat me, etc.

However, why settle for good when I could have best? Maybe that sounds a little selfish? But seriously why not? God is happy to help, in fact longing to help. So why not let Him? Why not allow God to showcase His power and love in my life?

Like I said before there is nothing wrong with choosing Option 1, it is just that Option 2 seems so much more sensible, and safer. 

Now let me clarify about Option 2, I DON'T mean I'm waiting around for God to drop my future partner down my chimney like Santa Claus. What I mean is that instead of concerning myself looking for a husband I'm busy, living a full life, working to show people how good God is and that He is coming back to this earth soon. Basically getting on with life and living as closely to God as I can. And most importantly protecting my heart, not letting my heart belong to anyone except me and God. (Yes, this is possible, it involves refusing to think along certain lines regarding eligible men and keeping them focused on God instead.)

Then when/if the time is right God will somehow connect me with the person I am to marry. I don't know how He will do that, there are a million potential ways, and God will make sure I know - and the guy knows - that we are ones He has planned for each other. I'm refusing to worry about that too. God knows how to get through my thick skull, He does it regularly on other topics, I know He can do it for this too. 

Basically, I'm not hunting for a husband, but I am open to marriage as a life path if God made it clear that that was His choice for me.


And if I never marry? Well I'm ok with that! I have had a wonderful life to date, and I wouldn't change very much of it. Even the hard times. (What I would change is all the doubting and arguing I have done with God over the years.) Why spoil a great life by making a bad choice in the marriage department? Why not leave the choice to God and continue having a wonderful life?




No comments:

Post a Comment