Wednesday 11 December 2013

Two Things I don't Understand ...

1. Fashion vs Comfort.

Here in my school the girls all wear teeny tiny skirts, they tell me they have to because that is the uniform. But, I happen to know that a number of them have had them altered in rather substantial ways, such as sewing the skirt pleats closed to make the skirts straight and tight while technically still pleated. So I hazard a guess that there would be no problem in letting the hem down.

Now I have no problem understanding the drive of vanity and conformity, both of which are largely in evidence. What I don't understand is the fact that now that it is winter the girls wrap large blankets around their waists, effectively making a floor length skirt that is so ugly even your blind grandmother wouldn't wear it.

Wouldn't it be better, warmer and way more attractive, to just get a longer skirt???

2. Bathrooms - specifically the room where you pee.

In all four schools that I have taught in here in Korea the bathroom is the coldest room in the building. What is the logic behind having the one room where you take off half your clothes be below freezing?

In my current school they try to compensate for this lack of logic by having heated toilet seats. You would think that is a good thing, but in reality it is slightly uncomfortable - that feeling you get when you sit down too quickly after the last occupant leaves and you feel the lingering traces of their body heat ... not my favourite ...


No comments:

Post a Comment