Thursday 2 January 2014

Closing Ceremony

Today was the final day of the semester at my school. We celebrated with a staff brunch. No students, they all went home on the 31st of December, teachers got 1st of Jan off and then came back on 2nd for brunch. It was interesting and frustrating. 

Frustrating because the translation of all the speeches etc was not very good so I didn't really have a clue what was going on for a large portion of the time. 

Interesting because I got to see the Korean idea of entertainment at official functions. Which amazingly turns out to be a Hacky Sack competition!

Today I witnessed the school principal give an amazing display of Hacky Sack skills - almost 30 kicks before said sack hit the dirt, followed by the heads of most of the other school departments trying to match his skills. No one came close ... Not sure if that was by design or from lack of skills. 

Turns out the Korean version of a hacky sack looks rather like a Christmas decoration  - the picture below shows one of the more successful department heads displaying his skills. 



At the end of all the speeches and food they gave every staff member a gift - a boxed set of spam ...



... Ummmmm did no one notice that I'm a vegatarian?? I guess not. I gave mine to one of the other teachers. (This is not the actual set I was given, I gave mine away before I remembered to take a photo. But it looked just like this only in a fancier box.)

Overall I would say interesting won out over frustrating. Those speeches I couldn't make head or tail of were probably boring anyway. ^^


P.S. Just in case you don't know, ^^ is the Korean version of a smilie face - the upside down v's look like smiling eyes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment