Tuesday 17 June 2014

The Most Terrible, Worst, Hardest, Ugliest Number In The World

Today with Grade 1 after school I was teaching them to read numbers, we quickly went from 1,2,3, etc up to the 100's and then thousands. Then one little boy (the odd, quirky, but undeniable genius one - my favourite, but don't tell him) asked me for a hard hard number.

I told him I would give him the biggest worst number in the world. I wrote something in the millions on the board. He got it right. Then another baby asked for an ugly terrible hard number, and another and another and soon we were in the billions and trillions.

Then just at the end as the bell was about to ring my odd quirky genius brings me a wrinkled and ripped scrap of paper. "Teacher do..." All the kids looked most anticipatory - I think they had secretly worked it out together ...


There was no way in the world I was going to disappoint them and tell them I didn't know, so I made it up ... 
Seven hexillion, 
nine hundred and eleven pentillion, 
one hundred and nineteen quadrillion, 
six hundred and nineteen trillion, 
five hundred and seventy billion, 
nine hundred and seventy four million, 
nine hundred and eleven thousand, 
nine hundred and eleven.

If you know what those terms are supposed to be - feel free to educate me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment