Wednesday 3 March 2010

The Green House - which is actually not green at all...


Here is the Green House, we grow lots of lettuce stuff - I think I will never eat iceberg again, there are so many tasty yummy salad stuffs!


Inside looking down from one end to the other;


And looking back from the other direction.


This is the top I put on to cover my clothes and stop them getting all muddy - it is the sacrificial fabric, lol - thanks Lorraine for making the sacrifice. I've been told I look like I'm wearing Doctors scrubs while wearing it, albeit over large scrubs, arms rolled up so that I can actually use my hands.

The yellow gloves are so that I don't get my hands dirty - yes I am more than willing to admit it - I am a girlie girl; anybody not know that already??


This hot water heater is hooked up to 4 large solar panels outside and then is feed in pipes through the bottom of the beds to keep the earth warm, the water is then recycled back to the solar panels to be reheated. The water does not actually go into the dirt, because then the first bed would boil and nothing else would get any warmth. (The system is almost up and running - test run happening as I write.) When this is working properly we will have warm beds all year around and be able to grow lots of delicate tasty things.


The plastic covers provide a second layer of insulation, to help keep the plants warm, this bed has silverbeet in it, only over here they call it chard. Both halves are the same only the ones at the back are older than the ones at the front.


Beet root tops for the salad mix, and the green plan is called kale, it is also used in the salad mix, along with mustard greens and a feathery kind of plant called mazuma that is kinda peppery, plus a whole bunch of other plants that I don't know the names of.


Peas - we are trying to make them go to seed - I think, might be wrong about that though...might actually be trying to make it grow... Larry, you might want to comment on that.

So what do I do in the green house?
Not to much, actually.

On days when it is going to be warm I go down in the morning 10 am-ish and slide the plastic covers half off the beds so that the plants do not get too hot and cook, around 12 pm-ish  I go and open the top of the green house for about half an hour - there is a wind up thingee that means that the top can be opened if it is too hot, to stop it getting too humid and hot. I also check if any plants need watering at this time and give it to them if they need it. Around 4 pm-ish I go and cover all the plants up and make them snug for the night so that they do not freeze.

On cold days I just check if they need watering and provide what is needed.

Am learning to balance too much verses not enough water.

Maybe when I get home I will try having a garden again....

No comments:

Post a Comment