Sunday 17 July 2011

Money, Money, Money ... It's A Rich Man's World ...


This is what Korean money looks like, I'm showing you this because this evening my bog post is mainly about shopping. 'Won' (as in the first part of 'I wandered down the road') is the name of the Korean currency. 1000 won is worth about US$1 and NZ$1.20. In general things are much cheaper than they are at home, I feel like forever in a bargain hunters paradise!!!!!

Today I went to Itaewon. Itaewon is the part of Seoul that caters to foreigners. I really don't like it, feels kind of seedy. However all the shop keepers speak English and there are some things that you can only get there; like Milo, Timtams, certain herbs and spices, and green lipped mussels from New Zealand, no I didn't buy them. There is lots of touristy trap type items and people hawking fake brand names on the streets and it is the dirtiest place I've seen in Korea. There is also lots of traditional Korean things as well, with a large mark up in price when compared to just about any other shop in Korea. Basically if you can buy it somewhere else then do!! However I have to go there sometimes because that is the only place I know of where I can shoes and clothes that actually fit - and Timtams ;-).

Today I was not shopping, I was playing tour guide. Showing the new teacher how to get there on the subway and where the important shops are - that would be the Foreign Food Mart and a store on 'Africa Street' that sells a bunch of other imported stuff - that shop is known to me as 'The Timtam Shop.' Then I made him figure out how to get us home again. Next time he wants to go to Itaewon he's on his own - unless I actually want to buy something there. Actually kind of dreading my next trip, have to buy new shoes and I HATE shoe shopping at the best of times, and these are not the best of times!!!

 After finishing our shopping we went to Taco Bell for lunch and I have to say that Mexican food loses a lot of substance/flavour/reason-to-eat-it, when it is translated from Mexico into an American fast food chain and then re-translated into a Korean variation of an American fast food restaurant pretending to be Mexican! I think I only went to Taco Bell once or twice when I was in the States but this was nothing like it. Half the size, twice the price and none of the flavour. The only thing that was consistent was the paper the burritto was wrapped in when it was delivered. Won't be going there again! On the other hand I do know where there is a fabulous Indian restaurant that makes the best Palak Paneer I've ever eaten!!! And it is closer to my house than Itaewon too!

The centre of the 'suburb' - for want of a better word - where I live is called Nowon. It is the second last stop on the subway before I get off. Always makes me laugh, in my mind Nowon means Flat-broke!

Night all, I'm off to move the sofa and them I'm falling into bed. I've been alternating writing this blog and checking facebook with rearranging the furniture in my apartment. Once I have it arranged to my satisfaction I shall take pictures and post them to facebook so that you can see what my apartment is like.

Cheers

Cat

PS There was no rain today, so no gumboot pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment