Monday 25 July 2011

The Week That Was ...

Tonight's post is yet another collection of randomnesses from the last 7-ish days. Everything from answered prayer to Korean students scarily honest conversations.

They've been painting the stairwell in my building. Whenever I open my apartment door I'm assaulted/allured by the smell of evaporating solvents - mmmmmm solvents ;-). Makes me just a little bit home sick for my lab - but just a little bit! Also annoys me, because I recognise the smell but can't for the life of me remember the solvents name! Grrrrrrrrrr

Last night I was praying that God would give me a Bible study with just one person who actually wanted to study the Bible. This morning one of My students said they wanted to study the Bible with me :-D We start Sabbath week at 9 am!!! (Sabbath School starts at 10am here.) God is amazing the way He answers prayer!

I used to wonder why Australia had big communities of immigrants who moved to Oz and then never learned English. Since being in Korea I have leaned that it is quite easy to survive in a foreign country without knowing the language. There is a good size community of English speakers who don't speak Korean here, some who have been here for many years. I'm finding I can relatively easily get around, find what I want and if occasionally I need some extra help there are always people who are willing to help in exchange for a bit of 'tutoring' on their English. Basically it's a good life, but I miss out on sooooo much. Things happen around me and I can tell by peoples reactions that it's unusual but no one tells me what's going on! I'm coming to admire some of my students in NZ who came to LAC with little or no English and became fluent within a very short amount of time because they were determined not to miss out on anything. So far I've learned to read Korean very slowly, but have no idea what the words mean. Once I am a bit faster I will be hitting the streets with my phrase book.

I've also been reminded this week that some of my friends don't have and don't want Facebook, but they still want to hear about my adventures. Here are some of the Facebook posts I made this week - mainly about memorable conversations between students in class. Sometimes it is impossible for me to keep a straight face!!

**************

Apparently conversation time in class is a time for brutal honesty:

Student 1: "What kind of healthy food do you eat?"
Student 2: "My wifes cooking. It is not very delicious ..."

*******************

Today's Conversation Stopper:

Student 1: When did your young adulthood end?
Student 2 (Male) : When I got married!

He then went on to elaborate that when he got married he had to be responsible and care for his wife and prepare for a family :-)

*******************

This morning my level 1 class had the topic of 'Relationships' for conversation time.

Student 1 (Male): "How many boyfriends do you have?"
Student 2 (Female): "I have 8 boyfriends." (She works in a kindergarten, all of her six year olds want to marry her :-D)
Student 1: "Are they blind?" which was very quickly changed to "Are they like you?"

I had to hide behind the book I was laughing so much.

*********************

Have a lovely week my beautiful friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment