Monday 11 July 2011

Security Guards

We have a small security station at the bottom of our building. It is staffed by old men in blue uniforms that have patches proclaiming Security on their shoulders. I find them very useful when I'm given food I really don't want to eat, I just give it to them. They all say "Hello" and stand up, wave and smile when they see me coming now.

I have noticed that they seem to do a lot of everything except actual securing. I've seen them fixing bicycles, gardening, sweeping paths, sorting rubbish on recycling day, taking away trees that got knocked over in thunder storms, gossiping for endless hours with other old men, and generally just being there.

Tonight as I was walking home at 8pm I went past the Security station and one of the guards had taken his shoes and socks off, his feet were propped up on one chair and he was leaning right back in another, fast asleep with his mouth open - but he was still there. Had to smile as I tip toed past.

3 comments:

  1. the primary roll of security is officer presence. afreind of mine patroles with a device he has to shake every 1/2 hour he keeps it in his poket one day we was working a police man asked him what he was doing there he told the officer im working officer asked whats going on in your poket he showed officer device and the cop burst out laughing
    then told hi there was reports of somebody DRESED like security descreatly masterbaiting inside poket(poket billards)after a few weeks the company changed to a swipe card at various locations on patrole the cctv footage would have been priceless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for Security Guards who actually do the job ,not saying there are any that don't.It's just that i have a good friend who works security a at one of those superstores. He works real hard. He must stand and walk for the entire 12 hour shift on unforgiving concrete. He came over after his shift ended tonight looking exausted having come straight from work. He sat there saying:" Man...I gotta get these shoes off, do you mind? My poor feet are KILLING me. I told him to get comfortable. He took his shoes and socks off with an audible heave of relief. He keep saying how bad they ached so I made him soak his feet in a tub of water with epsom salts just to ease his feet. Security is a very hard gig. Any one care to back me up in ht e sore feet dept here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you Anon, however, it is not a hard gig for these particular guards. More of a retirement club for old men - but they are nice old men. Their station house (box) was just below my second floor apartment so I got to see them in 'action.' :-) I hope your friend got some comfortable shoes.

    ReplyDelete