Thursday 4 August 2011

More on Contentment ...

In response to an email I received about my last blog post here are some more thoughts on contentment. 

1. I define contentment as choosing to be happy in whatever circumstances I am in, because my happiness comes from inside of me, from God who lives in me, not from an external source or circumstance. However this does not preclude attempts to change those circumstances.

2. Being content does not mean we sit back and do nothing. We must do the best we can with whatever task is in front of us. And, if there is something in our lives that is not the way we want it and it is in our power to change that thing, then we must do everything we can to correct the problem. While staying within the boundaries of God's law, obviously.

3. However when there is something in our lives that we do not like and it is not within our power to change it, eg being in prison like Paul, then we must give that problem to God and ask Him to deal with it, refuse to worry, moderate our desires and patiently wait for God to deal with the situation.

Moderating our desire is important because desire opens us up to temptation and temptation can lead to sin which always results in death. James 1:14-15

Interested to hear your thoughts ...

Cheers

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment