Monday 1 August 2011

Witnesses

The very last thing Jesus says to the disciples before he is taken up to heaven is, 
" '... and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.' After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight."
Acts 1:8-9 (NIV1984)

I've often wondered exactly what we are to be witnesses too, often we seem to think it means that we have to go out and tell others that Jesus loves them and that they must stop sinning. Or, that we must teach them Bible doctrine. Today I found my answer.
"... that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
1 Peter 2:9 (NIV1984)

At its most simple, to witness is to tell others how good God is, how powerful, how marvellous. We are to tell how God has called us from darkness to light, how He has healed us, freed us and loved us.

When I first came to Korea I was put in a situation that quite honestly terrified me. I am exceedingly happy to report that recently I was back in that situation several times and there was not a twinge of terror, or soupcon of fear. Isn't it wonderful how when we finally take ourselves out of the action and allow God to be our knight in shinning armour, suddenly our problems dissolve, our fears are vanquished and we are freed and healed? God is very very GOOD!



No comments:

Post a Comment