Wednesday 17 October 2012

Midnight Adventures

One set of twins.
So as I said in my last post my Mum has a little farmlet that includes, amongst many other living things, 8 sheep. When I got home, straight after something like 18 hours of flying, and lunch together with my Mum and  sister, and a trip to the hairdressers, (must have correct priorities ;-),  Mum took me off to see the sheep, and help herd them! - Before she took me to see the new house.

She wanted to separate one that was going to give birth in a day or two, away from the others, and into the paddock with the other new mothers.  In the last few weeks the flock has expanded to 19 as the sheep have all been having lambs - lots of twins!!!

Since then I have had several opportunities to help herd sheep, under the noonday sun, the wintery wind and the driving rain. Does that make me a shepherd?

Mum is very protective and proud of her sheep. She goes out and feeds them fancy sheep food every morning, after that they just have to settle for grass the rest of the day. If one baa's too long or too insistently she will go out to see what the problem is.

Well on Saturday night at around 11:30pm they started baa'ing. So out she went and out I went too. We couldn't see anything and the sheep settled down after we arrived. But just as we were leaving Mum noticed that one of them had a blue stripe on its back. None of us put it there ... Nothing we could do at the time, so we went back to bed.

The next morning it was discovered that four of the sheep have acquired blue stripes. No idea ...

If the mystery is solved I shall tell you all about it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment