Wednesday 3 October 2012

Rediscovering Treasure

When I packed up my house all those years ago - 4 to be exact - I got rid of lots of stuff and boxed the rest and put it into storage. Since I have been home I have been going through those boxes, sorting them, and discovering all sorts of dubious 'treasure.' The aim is to reduce the amount of stuff I own!!

Some things are in the "What was I thinking?' category, others come under, 'What is it? and Why did I keep it?' And then of course there are all those 'Favourite Things' that I briefly caress and then repack so they are safe while the next adventure takes me away again.

Some of the more interesting items I have found so far:

3 metre long feather boa, brown in colour, purchased for a themed murder mystery night costume. It makes any room where it is used look like a chicken was plucked in it. Destined for my sister's dress up box. Hope she likes vacuumming.

Bag of marbles from when I was 10, does that make them antique? Donated to my nephews toy collection.

Equally ancient 14 sided rubrics cube, never solved, but it is somewhat easier now as half the colours have fallen off, 3 sides of black? Can do!

103 (or thereabouts) recipe books. Repacked! One day I will have to stop adventuring and then I'm going to cook every one of those recipes. Truly. Actually it turns out books are among the hardest things to cull, the book boxes are not reducing by very much at all ...

The Green Jersey (Sweater for Americans) I knitted in College, actually if I am honest I didn't actually knit much of it. My Step Sister taught me to knit. I would go over to her house, laborously knit two rows of the course of two hours and then just before I would go home she would whip out another five, still took me months and months to finish it. By the time I had finished it I was too fat to wear it. Now however - twenty years later - I actually can fit it, so I proceeded to wear it the entire day I discovered it. Serendipitously the day was rather chilly, but I suspect I would have worn it even if the temperature had been 35 degrees C in the shade, just because I could.

And finally this, the best note a teacher could ever get from a parent! Never actually used it, but did wave it in a threatening way a couple of times. (To any PC people that are reading this blog, let me say that I had a great relationship with that family, both parents and kids.)



I only had one note that was more memorable in my entire teaching career, it said;


          Dear Miss XXXX

          XXXXX was late for school today because she was a @$#%^.

          Yours Sincerely

          and then the father signed his name.


My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read that. Wasn't sure what shocked me most, that the father had actually written that or that the girl had delivered it. Another time the same girl had another note from a different caregiver, she was late because the caregiver had to vacuum the back lawn! I kid you not!! Apparently the girl had tossed some bread crumbs out for the birds and the caregiver felt this would just encourage Cats to stalk them, therefore the crumbs must be vacuumed up post haste. (She was one of my favourites, the girl not the crazy caregiver, so was the boy from the gagging and binding note above. I know teachers say we don't have favourites, but we do. We just try very hard not to treat them any different to everybody else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment