Wednesday 16 July 2014

Travel Stories

My travel adventures started at the airport. Wandered my way through check-in, departures, and security, and then got side tracked by men holding umbrella's outside a souvenir shop. Last chance to buy highly over priced souvenirs before leaving Korea. I was trying to figure out if the men were excellent maniquins or real humans who could stand really really still. Turns out they are real men who can stand really really still. I know this because I saw once of them blink.


Here is a picture of them - the forth one was the one that blinked. I think this has to be the most boring job in the world. Because of the position of the umbrella's they can't even see the interesting travelers going past. All they can see is umbrella.


And I know the souvenirs are highly overpriced because I took a gander at them. The ones in the picture below - US$45 for 5 amethyst key-rings - I've seen the exact same thing in the markets for about $15. And the 5 little drums for US$18, you can get them in the markets for $5 or $10 depending on where you go.

After I wandered out of that shop I was cannoned into a parade. About 20 people in traditional costume parading through the airport - I think it was a reenactment of a kings mode of travel. Rather cool - but I was so surprised they were past me before I even thought of taking pictures.

The last thing that struck me from Incheon airport was this lovely view of sunflowers down one of the corridors.


Next stop of my itinerary was Narita airport in Japan.

I think I totally understand how Dorothy felt when she landed back in Kansas after her trip to the fantastical Oz. My first thought on Lading in Narita airport in Japan was "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Oz anymore." - I know I'm misquoting Dorothy  terribly. But I knew almost from the first instance I got off the plane that I was not in Korea any more. The funny thing was that it didn't feel like Japan either. It felt like New Zealand.

I traveled home on Air New Zealand, but on the first leg, Korea to Japan, I was one of very few foreigners on the plane. Waiting at the gate to board in Japan was almost an entire plane load of Kiwi's. And they were all wearing black - those people who tell me I wear too much black, let me just tell you, 'It's Cultural'! I was surrounded by my accent. People say 'chips' and 'aye.' Kathmandu backpacks and jackets, pounamu pendents, people waving around black passports embossed with beautiful silver ferns - just like mine.  I just wanted to lie back and soak it in. Is funny how something deep inside unwinds and relaxes when you're 'in your place.' Something I didn't even know was wound up. Not something that will stop me traveling, but it is something that makes coming home that much more pleasurable.

I ordered 'Asian Vegetarian' for my meals. Turns out that that means Indian. So I had Indian for three meals in a row. As Indian food goes it was fairly average, not amazingly wonderful, but also not terrible. However as airline food goes I would put it up there as definitely Amazingly Wonderful! Best airline food I've ever had.

Arriving in NZ was just lovely. I saw all my family in a short space of time - too short!!! And then was back on a plane to fly to Australia. Now I'm at my university. The wifi is free but unreliable. Sometimes it lets messages through and sometimes it tells me I have messages but doesn't let me see them, and sometimes I suspect it's not even letting them through - because some of the conversations on my chats make no sense at all!!! Shall be an interesting revelation when I get home - back to Korea ^^ - to read these conversations in their entirety.

One final thing, Food!!! I am loving the food!!!!!! So nice to eat the food I grew up with. I feel like I need a week of fasting already, every meal is so nice, and I'm soooooo full. I feel like I need to skip a few meals, but at the same time I don't want to miss any because I know that in less than a week I'm back to Korean food - which is nice, except for the kimchi - but it's not what I grew up with. Just hope I don't pop before I head back home.

Finally, my faithful readers, I love you all - wherever you are in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment