Monday 20 December 2010

Babies and other Girl Stuff

Finally got to visit the new baby nephew today, after lingering cough was explained away to worried parents as 'The Asthma Thing' and not at all infectious, I got to cuddle scrumptious new nephew!! (That is totally true by the way!) He has our family nose (ski jump) and eyes and mouth and chin. But face shape, hair and body type comes from his Mum - which is a very good thing since it means he has not inherited the Righton posterior. Also dark olive skin from his Peruvian blood. (Have you ever wondered why skin colour is described as 'olive'? I mean it's not like people with 'olive' skin have a greenish tinge or anything...) He also has hair on his back! I knew some men have this, but babies?

Very good little boy, hardly cried at all, slept very soundly and contentedly, lolled back, arms stretched out like he owns the world.

I got to be present for his bath, what a circus. First the mother and two grandmothers discussed if there was enough water in the baby bath, then they discussed if it was too hot or too cold, and then who should do actual bathing. All this was done in two languages; English and Spanish. (I have resolved to buy an English/Spanish dictionary tomorrow! I think I should have been getting Carmen (one of my AFCOE room mates) to teach me Spanish words rather than Korean ones.) Once it was determined that there was enough water in the bath (done by adding more water until everybody was satisfied) and that it was the right temperature (done by repeated dipping of multiple elbows into said bath and then further additions of either hot or cold water, depending on opinion of last dipee) and the decision was made of just who was going to be giving said bath, the baby was stripped down to naked and promptly wrapped in a blanket ??? ummmmm, I thought naked was how baths were preformed? But apparently not. First naked baby is wrapped up again, then soap is smeared in head and washed off with wash cloth, then baby is unwrapped again and dipped in water, swished around and had more water drizzled over him and generally marinated something like an overly large steak. I did notice that the soap did not come into the proximity of any of the rest of his body, so it would seem that only the head ever gets dirty. Finally baby was removed from marinade and wrapped up again in large towel, (different one from the first one), making sure the hands were tightly wrapped because apparently they like that. (How can they tell??) I made my escape at this point as I was fairly sure that the process of dressing poor defenceless creature was not going to be any simpler.

If I ever have babies they are going to be seriously deprived, seems to me the kitchen sink would be a wonderful baby bath, (so much easier to empty and water right there on tap - plus you don't have to figure out where to store it...) and all these extra blankets and things just need washing so why bother?? Fill the sink with water, use a thermometer, get the baby naked, dunk it in the water, swish the soap everywhere, wash it's head, play with the water or marinade as desired, take the baby out, pull the plug, dry baby off, dress it. Job done. (Throw in a rubber ducky just for fun - that was about the only thing I could see missing from today's three rings, maybe that's what I can buy him for Christmas.)

Even with the circus, baby Aidan is delicious!!!

Other Girly Stuff for today is clothes.

Mum has said she will buy me some new clothes for Christmas. Something that pleases me muchly, as most of mine are too big - a very nice feeling within limits, but I'm close to reaching those limits. Yesterday we went to Platform. How do you politely tell a shop assistant that you think everything in their shop is hideous? Particularly when she and your mother are determined that you will try on every item in said shop? Eventually they ran out of things for me to try on and we escaped without buying anything. Then we went to Farmers and I got a a couple of nice shirts and a pair of trousers, all for the cost of less than one item at the first shop.

Today I went on my own to Zebrano's in Newmarket. I Love their clothes!!!! However I can't justify spending $400 on one item when I know I'm only going to be wearing it for about 6 months. Last time I spent that much on one thing I wore it about 800 times before it started developing unmendable holes. I seriously felt like I got my money's worth. (I still have it, keep meaning to take a pattern off it and make a new one - however currently it is a box somewhere...) Zebrano's is having a sale in February - not a confirmed rumour, but the assistant said that's when they had their last sale so chances are ... and there is this gorgeous preppy tunic top I'm going to keep my eye on! (Actually I will admit to having a good look at it's construction, fairly simple, I'm going to see if I can draw a pattern and make it. So sale will only be necessary on the off chance that I fail.)

Tomorrow is for Christmas shopping and shoes - have to find an everyday pair, seeing as I threw the last pair away before I left the US. Keep in mind how much I hate shoe shopping and send up a prayer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment