Monday 25 April 2011

Camera's and Other Foolishness

Monday morning, before settling into an exciting day of ‘How to teach English in Korea’ I went exploring while waiting for breakfast. Have given up on the battle to sleep until a decent hour and am just dealing with the fact I am waking up absurdly early. Something I will actually be pleased about once I get back to the classroom – I’m a much nicer teacher when I am up 2 or 3 hours before the students arrive – and the students could be arriving as early as 6 or 7 am.

So on my exploring this morning I found a tiny patch of violets, they were mixed blue and white, lovely. Korea seems to be in that not so pretty part of the season where the snow has melted and the dead grass is disintegrating but the spring growth has not fully sprung yet. So the vivid green of the leaves and the gentle blue/white of the flowers were delightfully eye catching.  Then I saw a bird that looks kind of like a small raven but with a longer tail and white patches and blue feathers on its wings. Think I shall see if I can find a ‘Birds of Korea’ Book and indulge in some bird watching. Thank you Oliver for showing me how great that can be.

Foolishly I did not take my camera with me to photograph these discoveries. Note to self – take the camera everywhere!!!!

I have made an executive decision, I’m not going to try to describe Sunday’s adventures here – sorry, was a great (fantastic, awesome, wonderful) day and you can go and see the photo’s with accompanying commentary on Facebook. I only took 197 photo’s ... ;-) didn’t upload them all though, deleted the bad ones.

The advantage of this decision is that I won’t spend the next 5 days writing the story of Sunday and getting behind on the rest of the week. Instead I will endeavour to write a blog each day and post them as and when I can get onto the internet. (Today the internet connection is behaving itself quite marvellously.)

What else? I found an art supply shop today – second attempt, following precise directions (thanks James) made my way to the shop. Which it turns out I had been looking directly at on my first attempt to find it. Purchased a set of chalk pastels, some paper and some brushes, but I’m not going to open them until I arrive at my school. Thinking I will start with a series of flaxes I’ve had in mind for a while now.

To finish off this post I will confess that the shower has gone and made me a liar, after complaining about it in my last couple of posts I have serendipitously stumbled across the sweet spot for the last two mornings, where the water is hot but not scalding and not cycling into Antarctica! Long may it last!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment