Saturday 30 April 2011

Food and Funerals

Today is the day we find out which Institutes we are being sent to. But, that doesn't happen until after tea tonight. So I'm not going to talk about that.


Funerals
The Seoul Main institute where we have been treated to orientation is opposite a funeral home, called a Memorial Hall. It seems to have funerals continuously. It's also right next door to the hospital... However, the thing I want to comment on is funeral transport. Several times now I have seen bus loads of people following the hearse as it leaves the funeral home. I guess that it makes sense to have 1 or 2 buses of mourners instead of hundred of cars, given Seoul's traffic, but it is a new and surprising idea. (Having said that, I always thought having a wedding bus instead of bridal cars would be a great idea - a red double decker one!)


Food
I forgot to tell you the second most important discovery from my shopping trip last week - I found a place where I can buy Timtams!! Don't worry too much, I won't be eating many of them. Obtaining them involves a subway ride and I have yet to brave the subway on my own. That is an adventure for next week - or maybe the week after that.


Kimchi - I am making myself eat a tiny bit of kimchi everyday, that way if I get it put in front of me at someone's house I won't embarrass myself. I have found that if you have a tiny bit with lots of rice and wrap the whole thing up with seaweed, and don't chew too much, it doesn't taste too bad.


The Korean's have a unique way of cooking ravioli, instead of boiling and serving with a sauce as the Italian's do, they deep fry it and serve it as a pastry. Is an interesting experience, not distasteful but I have to say I prefer the Italian version.


Korean sushi is called kimbap it is more salty than the Japanese version but I rather like it. Over all I have been enjoying Korean food. Haven't found anything that I refuse to eat yet - well, as long as you only consider the vegetation foods. 


Have seen lots of different grains, nuts, seeds etc in the road side stalls so I'm looking forward to having my seven grain cereal again. A year ago I don't think I would have believed I'd be saying that now. 


And now it is time to get ready for breakfast - which has been almost entirely American food since I got here - everything except this really nice aloe vera drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment