Wednesday 27 April 2011

Today's Adventure

Today was not shaping up to be an adventurous one. By the end of tea not an adventure had come my way and then I stumbled into a lovely adventure.

Went for a walk up that 'mountain' I was telling you about on Sabbath (something like 3 posts back) with the intention of getting photo's of the violets I missed on my morning walk the other day. A little old Korean man started talking to me in Korean, was quite concerned that I could not speak Korean. So he started walking with me and giving me a lesson in Korean. The names of flowers and tree's and all sorts of things, most of which I can't remember now - but it as fun in a weird way. At one point he pointed at one of the name tag label thingee's next to a plant, "English, English!" It was the Latin genus and species name of the plant, but I didn't try to correct him just sounded the word out for him. 'Aceraphyllum rossil' if I remember correctly.

With a lot of gesturing and posing we established that he was a Pastor and a Yoga teacher and that I was an English teacher working at the SDA Language Institute. We also swapped names - but I have to confess I have forgotten his ... :-(  Mainly because he introduced himself first and then when I told him that I was Cat and we sorted out that Yes it was 'Cat' and not 'catch' (which involved me saying 'Meow' a lot) he started saying 'you Miss Cat hahahahahaha' and having hysterics and then saying it all over again, several times - to my extreme bemusement. So that unfortunately drove his name right out of my head!

Eventually we came across another man who spoke perfect English and he translated. A very interesting conversation ensued, 'How could I teach English when I didn't speak Korean?' amongst other things. It turns out the man with the perfect English is the Pastor of the College Church which is one of several SDA churches on this compound.

So my day had a lovely adventure after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment