Tuesday 18 February 2014

#100HappyDays Challenge: Day 2 - Finding A Source.


Can you guess what this is? It's not the way we westerners are used to finding these - well not in New Zealand anyway. Normally this would have long purplish stems and deep green leaves growing out of the top. And most definitely would not be wrapped up in plastic wrap. When I was a child I remember pulling smaller versions of this out of my mothers garden. 

I love their purple crunchy sweetness. They are good grated into salads, juiced with carrots or roasted or pickled or about 100 other ways. 

Here in Korea they have been a very hard to find commodity, I fact it is probably six months since I last had one. And now I have one sitting in my fridge. This makes me happy. Tomorrow it will make me happy again when I juice 1/4 of it. And I'll be happy for the next three days after that too. But, when it's all gone - I'll still be happy because I've discovered a source!!! 

Have you guessed what it is yet? 

It's the humble beetroot. ^^


The story of the source: 

Last night I decided it was time to discover eMart because apart from other things it is also the only reliable source of coconut cream that I know. I knew it was somewhere close so I jumped on a bus that I thought was going in the right direction. "EMart?" I asked the driver. He looked at me as if I was crazy pointed behind him frantically and said "여기요, 여기요" repeatedly. That's the Korean word for 'here' - hope I spelled it correctly. I thought he meant I had to get a bus in the other direction so I jumped off - and then crossing the road I discovered the eMart sign scarcely a block from where I stood ...

No wonder the bus driver looked at me like I was crazy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment