Monday 30 August 2010

Door Knocking

Today we had our first dose of trying to invite people to take Bible Studies. We took our little survey form and knocked on doors and asked people questions. It's funny, for the last two weeks our class has been practicing on each other, making up all kinds of sneaky situations and smart answers. No one asked me and my partner any of the sneaky questions, and we discovered that we had not done nearly enough practice on the ordinary inviting people to take Bible studies part. This week we are going to practice some more but without the sneaky questions, so that we get to feel comfortable with offering the Bible Studies.

The other thing I discovered is that it is way easier to be pushy with people I know when we are just playing/practicing. It's much harder to be pushy in real life - luckily my partner and I are both handicapped in the same way, so we get to learn to be more pushy together - rather than the pushy one taking over and doing what comes naturally.

It wasn't a total failure, we knocked on 92 of doors, gave away about 50 (all that we had) cards for free dvd's on Bible prophecy, lots of 'one-of read on your own' Bible study booklets and completed about 30 surveys. And we got 3 people to agree to do 'drop off' Bible studies with us, and one person to do a 'sit down' Bible study. So that is very awesome. Please everybody pray for our Bible study people, and for everybody else where we left material at their houses.

Specifically pray that at least 10 people send the form in requesting Bible Studies.

Two stories:

When we were dropped off in our territory, we had not even gotten to our first house when a lady comes marching up to us from another street and asks who we are and what we want and then proceeds to tell us to stay out of her street. After she had marched away we kind of looked at each other and decided that we would not be discouraged and continued with our planned course of action. We did go into her street, but not her house - it was pointed out to us by neighbours who had witnessed her interview with us. We left some cards on houses but that was all that happened on that street. The reason I tell this story is the contrast it was with our last house - 92 houses later. While we were waiting for someone to answer the door i was peering in the window and on the kitchen table were books like 'A man after God's own heart' and other obviously Christian books. So I was thinking that that was promising. A man came to the door and we did our whole survey and were just about to offer him Bible studies, when he said - actually I'm Adventist. I laughed and thanked him for the practice. It was kind of encouraging.

Generally I found the people were very nice, there were very few who were rude, even the ones who didn't do the survey were polite.

So all my lovely Christian friends please add all the people in my territory to your prayer lists, and all my lovely heathen friends, your already on my prayer list!!!  :-P

Over and Out

Cat

PS I only have lovely friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment