Sunday 9 October 2011

Big Green Crocodiles with Sharp and Scary Teeth.

Good Evening lovely people.

The title of this post is also the title of the Sermon I am working on for this Sabbath. Just thought you would like to know that. :-D (I'll post the sermon too when it's finished.)

So my self imposed exile from Facebook is over and I actually found it very freeing!! The exile I mean, not the coming back. Was back on this afternoon and got caught up with what people had been doing while I was away. After this initial welcome back binge it is my intention to not spend more than half an hour per day on Facebook - unless I am live chatting to someone. And I will not be using Facebook during the Sabbath hours. It is a wonderful tool but it is only a tool. I also not ruling out longer breaks in the future if I find that it is becoming too addictive again. Amusingly Facebook also noticed I had not logged in for sometime and sent me a "Please come home, all is forgiven!" message, informing me that X number of people had liked my various postings, that Y number of people had commented on things I had initiated and that Z number of people wanted to be my friend. How can I bypass loyalty like that??

Today's post is going to be a random round up of all sorts of things that have been inhabiting my mind in the last few weeks. Things that are not big enough to deserve their own post - or I forgot to include in a previous post or, or, or, whatever!

First, today I received a care parcel from the Division Office in Australia. When I got it I was like wow, they shouldn't have - you know how you say that when really you're really really glad they did?? Well then I opened it and started delving. Chocolate, stationary, books, All Good!! And then 'they shouldn't have' became "They Really Really Really Shouldn't Have!" A hideous green (the fact that it's patriotic if your Australian is the only redeeming feature about that colour) cap. I shall donate the cap to a South African friend of mine to help him relive the horror of today's World Cup Rugby Quarter Final. Aren't I just ever so nice? Apart from the cap, receiving a care package was just lovely! If any of the rest of you would like to send care packages my way just send me a message and I'll email you my address. (Hint, Hint!)

Now, a missing item from my Girly Stuff post. I have found a LUSH that is only 5 minutes by bus from my apartment!!! This is wonderful news for me, as prior to this magnificent discovery I had to go an hour by subway to the only other LUSH I knew of. LUSH is just my all time favourite shop that sells various gloriously smelling bath products. Most of which come with a teeny tiny sticker on the bottom announcing they are 'lovingly handmade in England'. So then I get to feel patriotically royalist for supporting the Mother Country whilst I luxuriate in fragrant waters.

I am "Knocking on Doors" again. Am entering the Green Card Lottery to see if I can get a work Visa for the US. Have prayed and am praying about this and if God wants me working in the states in the future then He will work out the details. I am just seeing this as an opportunity to see if I can broaden my future options. Having said that I have no intentions of leaving permanently Korea any time soon, but If God sent my dream job along then I want to be free to go!! I just have to trust His timing and keep knocking on those doors. That's how I ended up in Korea after all.

In the evenings I have a class of 7 women and one young man (he's about 24) last week we strayed onto the topic of men and muscles and how nice men with well developed abs look. One of them was trying out her idioms and said you know "a six pack" I smiled and nodded in agreement. And another chipped in with "That's right, chocolate muscles!" I stared her blankly. Chocolate and nicely defined and toned abs do not go together in my mind at all!! Chocolate is much more likely to go along with a beer belly... I mean chocolate melts. However the rest of the class sensed my confusion and joined in to help. These ladies are level one so sometimes understanding each other is a group effort, where they will discuss the best words and their translations in Korean as they attempt to explain things to me. (Can be confusing as a sentence is not necessarily completed by the person who began it or gave it its middle. And, then I draw stick people pictures to make sure that I have understood what they are trying to tell me.) The general consensus we arrived at is that the phrase 'chocolate muscles' is a Korean Idiom and is used because chocolate comes out of the mould in nice defined squares just like the muscles in a well toned and defined set of abs.  (The young man sat very very quietly in the back of the room and tried to look invisible - I suspect he does not have chocolate muscles.)

Another Korean Idiom is "Have you eaten?" It is analogous with our "How are you?" Which Korean people find to be a very intimidating question, because it requires some soul searching "How am I? Really?" Takes them a while to get the hang of our polite lie, "I fine thank you." On the other hand, If they ask you "Have you eaten?" It is not a lead up to a dinner invite or anything, they are just politely inquiring about you wellness.

It is now time for me to go to bed and sleep the sleep of the justified. I will leave you with these two images of the Zefiro in my car park - after my post about it I went out and took pictures - of the car as a whole and also some of the bolts. I believe it is quite an old model, however this does not seem to hinder it impressing every male that walks past it.





Bolts on the outside.




No comments:

Post a Comment