Tuesday 4 October 2011

Transcendence

Some things transcend culture, country and class.

There has been a fancy red sports car parked out the front of my apartment building for the last couple of weeks. The name on the back is Zephiro, if that means anything to you. The first time I saw it it was surrounded by small boys. They just about had their noses glued to the panels as the intently examined and discussed the cars various features. Today when I was coming home I discovered four grown men lined up and examining the car and taking pictures of it from every conceivable angle. They were also taking turns getting in, posing and revving the engine. Apparently some things don't change with age or culture.

But, what I find amusing is the fact that this car car in not actually that impressive. When you look closely you can see that some of the panels have been bolted on - from the outside. The bolt-heads are clearly visible around the edges of the panels. I'm wondering if it's really just an old Toyota underneath those fancy panels.

(Note: The pic is off the internet, I never seem to have my camera when I really want to take a picture. Think I shall have to only buy clothes with pockets from now on!)

Another thing that doesn't change is people knowing when they are in trouble. Today I had the occasion to talk to (or more likely talk at) three of my teenage students. They may not have understood every word I said, but they definitely knew they were in trouble, and why, and that certain behaviour was not acceptable and had better not appear in my classroom ever again. They reacted exactly the same as any other teenage boys I have had the 'priviledge' of telling off over the years. I think they forget that I actually am a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment