Thursday 6 October 2011

Death

I was going to post about iphones and mobile phones in general today, seeing as I've been waiting for forever for the new iphone announcement before making a decision about which new cellphone to buy. I HATE the phone I'm currently using - with a passion!!!

Then my day happened and I changed my mind.

Death comes to us in many ways;

  • It could be the death of a dream, when we finally accept that something we've been wanting/have been working towards/desiring is not going to pan out the way we want. 
  • It could be the blue screen of death on our computer as the hardware crashes around us and brings our cyber world crashing down with it.
  • It could be the death of a star, shining brightly as he shoots high across our sky before burning out much too early.
or
  • It could be the death of a friend. 


Today I've had all four. If I can just manage to stumble across a wedding in the next few hours I'll have the reverse of my favourite Hugh Grant movie.

We respond to each of these kinds of death in a different way;

  • The death of a dream - We mourn the loss of our desire, we may get angry at fate/God/whatever is blocking the dream, but then we find new goals or options and we move on and start planning and working towards  something else. And I claim the promise in Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (KJV)
  • The Blue Screen of Death - We pray for a resurrection and when it occurs we make sure that everything is backed up to within an inch of its life so that when the day comes that resurrection fails we won't lose anything important!!!!! For me, today I got my resurrection, the computer decided that 'today was NOT a good day to die' and after a brief hiatus whirred back into life. Shall be buying a new external hard drive tomorrow and backing up my photo's. They are the only things not backed up currently. (Drop box is wonderful for backing up documents!!! But it doesn't give me enough free space to back up my photo's too. If you'd like to help and increase my storage space by 250MB then sign up for your own account - it's free - just click on this link and set it up. You'll be doing both yourself and me a favour. And YES, this is a shameless plug that is almost totally self serving!!)
  • The death of a star - All over the web this morning was the news that Steve Jobs the founder and creative spirit behind the Apple computer company had died. Strangely shocking but also not. People have known he was sick for a long time. This news is sad but not unexpected. I think what I mourn most is that this is a man who changed the world, and I would have liked to have seen what else he had to offer. Now we'll never know.
  • The death of a friend - What is truly shocking is when a friend dies unexpectedly. The death of a friend makes us feel our own mortality. It makes us stop and take stock of our own lives.  If I was to die tomorrow would I be ready to leave? I know where I'm going but would I be happy about leaving? Or maybe that's just me, trying to fill a hole with words.



Mel Weaver, An Internet friend. One of the few people I've added on Facebook who I don't actually know in real life. I broke my Facebook ban for a few minutes to post on her wall and get a picture. Strange how we write messages to people after they are dead and can't appreciate them any more.

Rest In Peace my friend.






No comments:

Post a Comment