Thursday 27 October 2011

Speaking Korean

I am coming to understand why my teenage students dislike Speaking Class. I walk into a shop and want to ask for something and the moment I am confronted by a shop keeper my limited vocabulary flees from my mind, even my English seems to disappear at the thought of having to communicate with someone who doesn't understand my language. So there I am left, lost for words to explain what I want and an expectant set of eyes waiting, wondering why I am wasting their time. I find myself resorting to single English  words, pantomime and pointing. I can buy a weeks worth of groceries from the street stalls without even having to speak these days. Not something that pleases me.


Today however I was pleased, I went to a shop and refused to let the 'mind blank' win, pushing through the fog. Between the assistants limited English and my very limited Korean we actually had a conversation that involved more than just making a purchase - I was able to explain the purpose of the purchase and she gave me a loyalty card and I left the shop exultant, because I had actually connected with a Korean in her natural environment. Sorry if that makes her sound like a wild animal, that's not what I mean, it's just that most of the time I connect with my students in class. And while I love them they are coming into my environment, rather than me entering theirs. So sometimes I feel like I am exhibit A in the zoo. This morning I felt more like an explorer on safari. I LIKED IT!!!

PS My students are also getting over their fear/dislike of Speaking Class, and are beginning to speak up and voice their opinions even though they know their grammar is wrong and that their pronunciation is not the best and they are also discovering the joy of being understood regardless of the difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment