Wednesday 20 January 2010

Catriona's Adventures in Bizarro-land

The last couple of days read like a fortunately unfortunately story.

Everything started so well, Revalani picked me up from my hotel, we had dinner and I got to meet her beautiful children, then she dropped me to the airport. (I know teachers aren't supposed to have favourites, but... I am especially fond of her... and a few others too.)

I cleared check in, customs and security with minimal problems and then we were allowed to embark the plane. (Am assuming embark is a word - should be because we definitely disembark from planes.)

Fortunately when I checked in the check in person had assured me that I had the row to myself.
Unfortunately when I embarked the plane I discovered that this was no longer true. A lady who could not speak English was sitting next to me.

Fortunately there were lots of empty seats so I moved to a place where there were two seats by the window to stretch out in.

Unfortunately you can not stretch very far in two seats.

Fortunately I discovered that I am surprisingly flexible and by bending like a pretzel I was able to actually lie down on those two teeny tiny seats and get a tolerable sleep.

Unfortunately the sleep only lasted 20 mins at a time, 'cause I had to un-pretzel and re-pretzel so that different parts of my body did not develop gangren from lack of blood flow and drop off.

Fortunately this only lasted for 8 hours then we landed at LAX the big amazing airport in LA.

Unfortunately I arrived on the only day all year when it rained, apparenlty if I believe the LA people.
Fortunately I loved it, been missing a good rain, none in Sydney.

Unfortunately I had to wait 5 hour for my next flight.

Fortunately Americans are (so far) very nice, chatty, helpful people.

Unfortunately the next flight was delayed 'operational difficulties' - the flight attendant later told us they had to fly another plane in from somewhere else.

Fortunately after only 45 mins of delay we were loaded onto our flight and were ready to go.

Unfortunately the flight attendant then announced that we had no pilot!! They were flying in from somewhere else too!!!

Fortunately they arrived after about 15 mins, and the time went quickly 'cause I was chatting to another friendly American who managers satalite stuff for the airforce.

Unfortunately when we finally landed in Denver Colorado (the Mile High city so called because it is a mile above sea level and not for any other reason you naughty people) my next flight was taking off as we landed.....

Fortunately the airline gave me a free night in a very fancy hotel with the most comfortable bed ever.

Unfortunately I was only there for about 6 hours and was asleep for five of them.

Fortunately the next day - today - went much more smoothly and I arrived in Rapid City without any more adventures and am now safely installed in South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment