Monday 18 January 2010

Tahiti

I'm sitting in the hotel's (Le Meridian) transit lounge, the air conditioner sounds like a Tahitian drum, but it is still an air conditioner and it works!!!!! (God bless the inventer of the air conditioner.) Theoretically I am working on an assignment but I decided to distract myself first by jotting down my thoughts about Tahiti.

So, I landed in Tahiti yesterday afternoon, flying in was odd, big green mountains, the shape of the bare shale knife edge mountains in the South Island, but covered with rain forest. Through the plane windows small decrepit sheds are visible, sheds I would pull down rather than use as a garden shed at home, but these have obviously got people living in them. The curtains in the windows are a clue - as is the washing draped over the fences.

Disembarking the plane there are other clues that "we're not in Kansas now, Toto." (Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz) Clues like the live ukulele band playing next to the runway and the girls handing out Tipani flowers. (Smell nice) The air is hot and humid - cooler than Sydney but more humid, very sticky.

Once you leave the airport thats when you realize this really is a foreign country. (Sorry all you Ozzies but Australia is really just NZ with funny accents, weird trees, horrible insects and less rain.) People talk French, or Tahitian, the signs are not in English, the money is different, 1000cfp is how much NZ?? (turns out to be about $15) And i discovered my research was inadequate - actually nonexistent. I've done heaps about the States but none on Tahiti, have been rectifying that since.

2500cfp got me a taxi to the hotel and I got another shock, taxi turned into oncoming traffic! Then I realised we were the on coming traffic and everybody drives on the right here. Like America. I think I will not be driving in America.

I will upload photos of the hotel to my facebook when I get the cords for my camera back. It was a deal, 4 star hotel for very cheap price - one night. I thought "why not?" And it is comfortable, all the staff have been exceedingly lovely.

Now I had better get back to the assignment, because tonight I am going out to tea with one of my ex-students, Revalani Sylvain. Then it is back on the plane and up, up, up and away.

No comments:

Post a Comment