Thursday 21 January 2010

First Impressions

Today I am giving random impressions, tomorrow - when I am actually awake I will describe the Health Retreat I am staying at.


Random Impression Number 1
Note to self; Look the other way when crossing the road!! Nearly got run over at LA airport. Fortunately my Mum taught me to look 'left, right and left again' before crossing the road. Got to the 'right' bit just as I was about to step in front of a car! Pulled back and was saved. So my new mantra is 'look right, then left, then right again!!!' Now if I can just remember which way is right it will be all good.


Random Impression Number 2
Denver, after you finally figure out how to get out of the airport - involves catching a train to another terminal to find your baggage, which they would not give me because the were 'holding' it for the flight in the morning. So even though the clothes I was wearing had been occupied by me for so long they could stand up on their own and had developed a fairly terrifying homeless person smell I was sent with a teeny tiny plastic wrapped 'overnight kit' that had all sorts of toiletry stuff in it - actually kinda cool - out into the cold dark world to find my shuttle to the hotel. I EMBARKED the hotel shuttle and on leaving the airport environs was confronted by this rather 'freaky' piece of artwork;





Only because it was night it looked like this;





Because to quote the blog I stole these pictures from (still no camera cords - and I tried to take photo through the moving bus window) "...really, nothing says "Welcome to Denver International Airport...enjoy your flight!" quite like a gigantic satanic horse with evil red eyes." (Some other persons blog.)


And here it is again from a different angle, apparently it has received a number of nicknames from the good citerzins of Denver (most of whom hate it!) They call it things like; "Bluecifer", "Satan's Stead" and "Blue Devil Horse".





Random Impression Number Three
America has really really cool bathroom fittings! Well apart from the toilets which are quite alarming, If I saw my toilet at home doing what these do I would be running from the room and returning very very carefully armed with a bucket, a mop, a full environmental protection suit - hazard level 4 - and about 100 L of disinfectant, and in dread of what my incipient plumbing bill was going to cost! 


However these fittings are really neat, see the small nob on the top of the hand basin spout? between the two taps? It controls the handbasin plug! No more trying to find the plug the your last guest accidentally stole or your two year old kid ate for a snack. These are also in the bath which to me is even more impressive - no more swearing cause you accidentally kicked the plug out in the middle of a relaxing bubble bath.





Impressive bathroom feature number 2; see the nob at the end of the bath spout? That diverts the water from the bath faucet up to the shower rose, so only one set of taps required. Very stream lined and elegant I think.





There endeth todays random impressions. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment