Saturday 3 March 2012

March 3 - The Blind Leading The Blind

There is a blind institute or something near my house. I often see blind people wandering around with their canes.

Last week I saw two blind men out walking. The first blind man had a cane which he was swinging vigorously in front of him. The second blind man was hanging onto the arm of first, his own cane was folded up in his pocket. Both of them were trotting happily along the road.  I so wanted to take a photo but I was good. Didn't think I should invade their privacy.

I did wonder though how the first blind man could trust himself to the second - especially since the man with the cane was actually swinging it only in front of himself. Could easily have walked the first man into a power pole or something.

However, it made me think. Here in this life we are blind. We trot through life trying to interpret events so we won't be tripped up. Those people who are wise have a cane to guide them. That cane is the Bible, the Word of God.

Some people use the Bible for themselves to interpret their world. Other people rely on Pastors and teachers to tell them what the Bible says. If your one of the second type of people I hope your guide is trustworthy ...

Take home message: Study God's Word for Yourself!!!

2 comments:

  1. I just listened to the audiobook version of "Thunder Dog". It's the story of Michael Hingson and his guide dog Roselle, both of whom survived the terrorist's attack on the Twin Towers in NYC. I highly recommend it. Taught me alot about how blind individuals get around. Michael is amazing.

    ReplyDelete