Sunday 12 February 2012

February 12 - Convict Culture ...

Last night while eating Mexican food I was telling my friends about the classic fish and chips from New Zealand and Australia. I rashly suggested that we had the next meeting of the International Food Club at a place I have heard about called the Aussie Bar. Thinking for sure I would be able to get fish and chips there. Today it crossed my mind that perhaps I should check this place out before I actually took my students there. So Vickey (one of my fellow teachers) and I headed to Itaewon and found the Aussie Bar. It is a classic Aussie Pub. Well except for the fact that the whole thing is about 5 metres wide and 10 metres long and you have to walk across the stage if you want to use the loo - also the cook who is also the waiter and the barman - and Korean, not Australian, makes the food in the building next door which has no internal access to the bar, so he is ducking in and out of the bar and kitchen via the street.

Was an interesting experience to say the least. Vickey and I spent an amusing half hour chatting with some half drunk Americans and an old Korean man who have chosen the bar as their 'local.' While the food was authentic - mmmmmm pineapple fritters - there is no way I can take my students there, and I won't be going back myself either.

There is an Irish Pub I've heard about that will hopefully be a little more genteel where I can treat my students to fish and chips - otherwise I may have to give up on that idea ... I'll check out the Irish place next weekend.

After I took Vickey to the Aussie Bar, she took me to Jail!
Which is somehow appropriate seeing as the evening began in an Aussie themed bar.

Jail is a theme coffee house in the basement of one of the buildings near where we live.

Inside each table is decorated like a cell.


Vickey longing for freedom ...

... and inspecting the graffitee left by past inmates ...

... then while we were in Jail I took the opportunity to teach her about TimTamSlams!
A successful introduction to 'downunder' culture :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment