Thursday 29 October 2015

100 Happy Days Revisited - #16: Plumbing

So here is something I never expected to make me happy, Korean bathroom design. I have been amused, bemused and sometimes out right mystified by it, but never, until today, happy.... Although possibly I'm misidentifing relief as happiness ...

Anyway, in my apartment the washing machine does not have its own plumbing, instead when I want to do my laundry I have some rather long pipes that stretch from the washing machine around corner, into the bathroom and onto the the tap or down the floor drainage hole. 

The pipe that goes onto the tap is supposed to clip tightly into a position that gaurentees it can't come loose, but my hands are not strong enough to actually push the clip into place. So it is always with some trepidation that I do a load of washing. Generally I push the parts together as tightly as I can, (about half way), turn the tap on about 1/4 of the way so the water pressure is not too high, and get ready to do a runner if things go wrong and start spraying everywhere. I tend to get an unexpected shower every second or third load that I do. 

Well today I left my whites soaking in the machine, and merrily went off to work, totally forgetting to turn the tap off. Something I've never done before. Imagine my horror on approaching my door this evening - 12 hours later - to hear the sound of water spraying. I totally expected a tidal wave to wash me away when the door opened. 

However to my great relief and happiness there was not a drop of water outside of the bathroom!!! That floor drainage pipe is a wonderful marvelous thing that should be immediately added to all bathrooms in New Zealand!!! In fact because Korean bathrooms are designed as total wet rooms the only thing I had to do was empty the water out of the rubbish bin. 

Not looking forward to my water bill this month, but at least I don't have to replace all the contents of my apartment. 

Thank you God!!!! <3





No comments:

Post a Comment