Monday 5 October 2015

100 Happy Days Revisited - #3: Random

Seoul is crisscrossed by rivers, and along each side of them there are walking and biking paths.  Often there are major highways running overhead, and always there are people out getting there daily allotment of exercise. 

Today as I was walking home from school I observed the following things. 

They amused me and made me happy. ^^

1. Bottles of water on strings hanging from the top of the wall. I'm sure the person who did this had a good reason, but I can't for the life of me think what it could be. 



2. Places where if you don't look up you can almost imagine you're in the country. If you do look up ... Not so much. 



3. The bridge I talked about the other day, but this time there were lots of old men playing games. A very serious and silent persuit.  



4. Then I found this garden. I've walked and cycled along this stretch of river many many times and never noticed this before. It's on one of the busiest corners in Seoul, large roads on both sides, a major highway overhead running along the river and another crossing at right angles, and someone is growing turnips and cabbages. I love these contradictions, so out of place and practical. 



5. While I was walking I was thinking, as you do - unless you're singing in your head of course...  

And what I thought was that we forgive others as we are forgiven. Not 'because' but 'as'. 

'As' meaning 'in the same manner' that God forgave us/me, fully and freely. Therefore, I need to do the same for others. 

God lifts me up as if I'd never sinned, there is no probationary period with Him. I have to give others the same grace.  

And then I was thinking that the hardest part of forgiveness is trusting people not to hurt me again, but I realized that 
instead of trusting people not to hurt me again, I have to trust God to comfort and heal me when needed. And that that is the only way to stay open, loving, trusting and vulnerable. The other option is to try and protect yourself but that makes a person hard and bitter and difficult to live with and I really don't want to be that person. 






No comments:

Post a Comment