Monday 22 February 2010

The Last Proposal

I was thinking that since yesterday I posted my thoughts about singleness today I would tell the story of the last time I was Proposed to. Don't worry I'm not breaking any confidence, this was seriously strange.

It was a summery Sabbath afternoon in Auckland, I was up for the weekend to attend a seminar at Papatoetoe Church. I arrived at the church about ten minutes early and got to greet the presenter who was an old friend I hadn't seen for a year or two and then choose a table, staking out a place for another friend who was joining me. So their I am settling down, laying out the pens in a tidy line, heading up my notebook and generally getting ready.

This guy in a grubby hawaiian shirt comes in and sits down next to me, I make nice "Hi I'm Cat, how are you? etc, etc, etc." We chat briefly and then my friend arrives and I turn my attention to her. While she and I are talking, because we haven't seen each other for a few months either, this guy is scrabbling around in his wallet, he finds a scrap of paper and starts writing on it. I didn't pay him much attention because the friend was much more interesting. Abruptly he shoves the bit of paper towards me, stands up and moves to another table where he is sitting directly in front of the speaker with his back to him and starts talking to the people at that table and handing out flyers. The speaker stopped talking turns to this guy and says 'Excuse me this is my meeting, go back to the table you were at please.' So the guy comes back to sit at my table, stays for all of 30 seconds and then walks out of the meeting.

When I looked at the note he had passed me it said, "Hi my name is Matthew, I live on Waiheke Island and I'm looking for a wife, ring me... and there was a phone number."

To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement!

No comments:

Post a Comment