Saturday 27 February 2010

My Babies

My job here has two parts; first I am working on the website, I'm not building the new one, don't have those skills, what I am doing is collecting, collating and at times writing the information for the new one. Then Lydia will make the actual new one. Second I am working in the garden, the Farmer/Gardener Larry and his wife Michelle have just gone to South Africa for 5 weeks so I am now in sole charge of the babies and the Green House.

Didn't manage to get to the Green House today so pictures of that will follow in a day or so. Today I do have got pictures of the nursery for you, it is in Michelle's office so I can sit at her desk and do my website work and look after the babies at the same time.

There are two racks with lights that are loaded with trays of 'starts' some of them are just starting to germinate, some of them are growing well. (They are actually in a straight line, against the wall, It is just the angle each pic was taken from that makes them look like they are at right angles.)


There are four main types;

1.  Various types of tomatoes
2.  Various types of egg plants
3.  Various types of peppers (called capsicums at home.)
4.  Various types of onions


Everyday except Friday and Sabbath I have to water them morning and night, with my great big 40 gallon (have no idea how much that is litre's) backpack pump spray bottle thing.


On Friday I bottom soak them to give them a good watering and then on Sabbath I get a day off. I have lots of careful instructions written out and been given lots of advice and people are popping in and out of the office and 'taking an interest'.


I go to the green house (which is not actually green) on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and check and water the plants, do any harvesting if it is needed and generally make sure everything is ok.


Now those of you who know about my gardening skills are probably laughing their heads of right now, and to be perfectly honest I would probably be more comfortable if they were real babies - at least I would have more of an idea of what to do with them. (And yes I know that those of you who know the depths (or shallows) of my baby skills are laughing even harder now ... so that just tells you about my plant skills!!)


However these are flourishing as the pictures show. And I am very happy to acknowledge that it is by God's grace and power that this is so because it certainly is not from me!! These are probably the most prayed for plants in the entire history of the world. Feel free to pray for my plants too please! The represent the first spring harvest for all the people who live and work here.







No comments:

Post a Comment