Sunday 6 April 2014

#100HappyDays Challenge: Day 50 - The Smell of Happy

This morning I thought I knew what my happy thing today was going to be. My friend was going to come visit me and teach me how to make 호떡 which is one of my favourite foods here. And I knew we would talk and talk and talk :-). I was planning that for my reward for a morning trip to Itaewon to buy clothes and shoes. Rewards are always needed for that activity since I hate clothes shopping and I hate shoe shopping and I hate Itaewon. 

Sadly it was not to be. My friend had to cancel. So then I was left wondering what my happy thing was going to be. 

I prayed for a quick trip to Itaewon and that I would find all the things I needed straight away. The first clothes shop I went into had two pairs of black trousers in my size. (Perfect except they are about six inches too long. Koreans believe that common myth that big size means extra tall.) and the shop had two blouses in my favourite style. One silver greyish and one black and white. I'm happy. Then the first shoe shop I went into had a black pair of summer shoes I can live with, but they were a bit tight. The man said "I can have another pair made for you - wider."  So the shoes were sorted too. 

While I was in Itaewon I dropped in to the big English second hand bookstore. While I was brousing the shelves I saw a girl come in and breathed deeply of that musty old book of our that always fills second hand book stores then she said to her friend, "ahhhhh, the smell of happiness." Which I thought was a perfect description. I only bought three books. 

After that for my reward I went and joined some friends at the Cherry Blossom Festival. One of my friends heard someone say, "There are more people here than cherry blossoms." I know it's not true but it sure felt like it. 

After that I went back to Itaewon. But this time I went to the one place I actually like. An Irish pub that makes food like home. My friends really enjoyed it too. 

So while it wasn't the happy day I had planned it still turned out to be a happy Day. 

PS sound this really cool statue too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment