Thursday 22 May 2014

Between the Happys: Running the Guantlet.

I know it's very bad of me to be amused by another countries political campaigns but I have to confess that I am exceedingly amused. 

I've found out that the election coming up is for Seoul Mayor which is one of the top spots on the country seeing as about half the population of Korea live in Seoul. 

I surmise that my area is a hotly contested seat as people have been campaigning here for almost two months and the election is still around three weeks away. There was a cessation of 'hostilities' for a few weeks after the sinking of the ferry. But this week they were back in full force. 

This morning things ramped up another notch. There was a truck next to the subway entrance with signs, speakers pictures, etc. In the ally leading to the subway entrance there were rows of bowing ladies,  groups of three, all dressed in matching clothes, some rows in red, some in blue - the colours of the two main parties - and a few in white. They were also at the top of the stairs down into the subway, and at the landing where you transfer from the stairs to the escalator. Tomorrow I'm fully expecting them to be at the bottom of the esculator too.  

Generally a row of blue would be angled to be almost facing a row of red. One row will bow and chant something which I assume translates to "Vote for us, we're great." And then the opposing row would immediately reply with their own bow and chant. I should mention that when a row bows they all bow together. 

Sprinkled amongst the rows of bowing ladies are the candidates and their main men also dressed in red or blue and wearing sashes proclaiming their pertinent statistics. They also bow and hand out business cards. 

Now as the resident foreigner in the area I'm highly recognisable, but what surprises me is that instead of ignoring me since I can't vote they all make an extra extra effort. The rows of bowing chanting ladies bow and chant, the besashed candidates attempt to shake my hand or wave and show off their English prowess by greeting me in English and everybody tries to give me their card. And I nod and smile and shake and try to avoid taking and get into the station as fast as I can. 

Only three more weeks. 

And we get a holiday for the actual Election Day :-D

PS No picture with this one because I'm not quite brave enough to stop and take one ...

No comments:

Post a Comment