Wednesday 7 May 2014

Between The Happys: Student Story


For you to understand this story first I have to give you a little background about Korean culture. The last two days have been closed for school. Yesterday (Tuesday) was Buddha's Birthday, which is the equivalent of Christmas and Monday was a public holiday called Children's Day.

On Children's Day children make a formal bow to their parents and then their parents give them money and gifts. Aunts, uncles and grandparents give them money and gifts too. Today I had my students telling me how much money they were given and what other gifts they got.

So now my story...

It's the last class of the day, I've dismissed the students and my quietest, shyest student - who also happens to have the worst English - stays behind. She is busy looking over her shoulder to check that the other students have all left before she talks to me. Once she is assured that she is alone she says the best sentence she's ever said to me, "Teacher, one more stamp, please." I was slightly surprised. We give the students stamps for good behaviour. I was surprised that she had the audacity to ask for an extra one, she's so shy. (Other students ask regularly and I always say no!) I asked her, "Why should I give you one more stamp?" She smiled angelically and answered, "Children's Day!"

I didn't give her the stamp - but I did laugh out loud, and I am considering finding her after school and giving her the stamp, just because.

Here is some more information about Children's Day if you're interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment